The Buddhist Refuges and Precepts
The Three Refuges:
To the Buddha, I go for refuge.
To the Dhamma, I go for refuge.
To the Sangha, I go for refuge.
The Five Precepts:
I undertake the precept to:
- Refrain from killing living creatures and to practice compassionate action.
- Refrain from taking that which is not given and to practice generosity.
- Refrain from using sexual energies unwisely or uncaringly and to practice responsibility in all my relationships.
- Refrain from harmful speech and practice kind speech.
- Refrain from the misuse of alcohol and drugs and to practice caring for my body and mind.